Four decades’ experience researching organic and agroecological farming and food systems, including technical (crops and livestock), environmental, business and policy aspects.
Emphasis on an applied, holistic, systems understanding and participatory engagement of producers in research and innovation.
In-depth understanding of technical, business, regulatory and policy issues of organic farming, based on longstanding experience in research, consultancy and teaching in Britain, Germany and Europe.
Main focus on socio-economic aspects of various stakeholders, including producers, consumers, business partners, control bodies and regulators. Work on projects on conversion, financial performance, milk production, farm management, policy support, regulations, certification and gender.
Work undertaken for government agencies in England, Wales, Scotland, Germany, New Zealand and the European Commission.
- 2019-present Researcher and Project Co-ordinator (Organic farming policy, Remuneration of Environmental Benefits of Organic Farming), Thünen Institute of Farm Economics, Braunschweig, Germany
- 2019-present Independent Consultant
- 2019-present Honorary Fellow, Scotland’s Rural College
- 2009-2019 Executive Director/CEO, Organic Research Centre, Newbury
- 2009-2012 Visiting Professor, University of Reading
- 2000-2009 Director, Organic Centre Wales, Aberystwyth
- 1991-1992 Senior Scientific Officer/ Agroecology Team Leader, MAFTech, Lincoln, New Zealand
- 1985-2009 Lecturer/Senior lecturer, Aberystwyth University
- 1983-1994 PhD, University of Wales: Economics of Conversion from Conventional to Organic Farming Systems
- 1979-1983 BSc (Hons, 1st) University of Wales: Agricultural Economics
Committee memberships and awards:
- 2020-present, Fellow of the Royal Agricultural Societies (FRAgS)
- 2016-2020, Associate of the Royal Agricultural Societies (ARAgS)
- 2013-present, Member, Institute of Agricultural Management (MIAgrM)
- 2016-2019, Member, BBSRC Agriculture and Food Security Strategic Advisory Panel
- 2011-2016, Member, Expert Group on Techniques of Organic Production, European Commission
- 2009-2012, Board Member/Director, Hybu Cig Cymru
- 2019-present: Researcher at the Thuenen-Institute of Farm Economics, Braunschweig Germany
- 2007-present: Tutor of online module on Organic Principles and Practice at the SRUC MSc/PGDip Organic Farming
- 2009-2019 Senior Researcher at The Organic Research Centre, Newbury
- 1993-2009 Research Assistant/Associate at Aberystwyth University
- 1985-1991 Consultant for organic and converting farmers at Oekoring Schleswig-Holstein, Bordesholm, Germany
- 2002 PhD in Agricultural Economics, Aberystwyth University: Conversion to Organic Milk Production: the change process and farmers’ information needs
- 1982 Dipl-Ing University of Kassel, Department of Agriculture
- 2009-present, Expert group of TP Organics
- 2015-present, Member of the Exam Commission for the MSc Mediterranean Organic Agriculture of IAM Bari