Four decades’ experience researching organic and agroecological farming and food systems, including technical (crops and livestock), environmental, business and policy aspects.
Emphasis on an applied, holistic, systems understanding and participatory engagement of producers in research and innovation.
Work undertaken for government agencies in England, Wales, Scotland, Germany, New Zealand and the European Commission.
- 2019-present Researcher and Project Co-ordinator (Organic farming policy, Remuneration of Environmental Benefits of Organic Farming), Thünen Institute of Farm Economics, Braunschweig, Germany
- 2019-present Independent Consultant
- 2019-present Honorary Fellow, Scotland’s Rural College
- 2009-2019 Executive Director/CEO, Organic Research Centre, Newbury
- 2009-2012 Visiting Professor, University of Reading
- 2000-2009 Director, Organic Centre Wales, Aberystwyth
- 1991-1992 Senior Scientific Officer and Agroecology Team Leader, MAFTech, Lincoln, New Zealand
- 1985-2009 Lecturer/Senior lecturer, Aberystwyth University
Committee memberships and awards:
- 2016-present, Associate of the Royal Agricultural Societies (ARAgS)
- 2013-present, Member, Institute of Agricultural Management (MIAgrM)
- 2016-2019, Member, BBSRC Agriculture and Food Security Strategic Advisory Panel
- 2011-2016, Member, Expert Group on Techniques of Organic Production, European Commission
- 2009-2012, Board Member/Director, Hybu Cig Cymru
- 1983-1994 PhD, University of Wales: Economics of Conversion from Conventional to Organic Farming Systems
- 1979-1983 BSc (Hons, 1st) University of Wales: Agricultural Economic